Practical Math Foundation (PMF) for Industry Analysis
Appropriate practical mathematics knowledge and skills are valuable in helping maintenance technicians and troubleshooters master technical materials and skills.
- A worker’s value and ability to perform a wide variety of tasks is greatly amplified by an appropriate set of math skills and knowledge.
- Many of today’s workers lack an adequate, much less optimal, set of mathematics knowledge and skills.
- The ability to use appropriate tools such as a scientific calculator in the solving of math problems is mandatory for efficient problem solving.
- Most workers are very capable of learning the appropriate mathematics and skills IF it is taught properly to them.
Some Facts about Math Education:
- Today’s “Standard Math Curriculum” taught in high schools and many tech schools is very suboptimal for many reasons, the most important being the inappropriate selection of topics.
- There are many sources of math education today including textbooks, online courses, classroom courses, and OJT training included in tech classes.
- There are several very valuable free online resources IF you know what you want to learn and have the prerequisite background. These include YouTube, Khan Academy, Wikipedia, and Wolfram-Alpha. Unfortunately, for several reasons, none of these resources is efficient or very effective in teaching math to beginners even with the help of an expert teacher.
- To get a person to learn math one must first overcome any psychological barriers or hang-ups that person has about math which are left over from some bad experience with math from the standard curriculum courses.
- A person must be taught those math topics that are relevant to the person’s needs, and not a bunch of topics that are irrelevant. Unfortunately, this is the problem with most of the math educational resources available today including most of the resources mentioned in #1, #2 and #3 above.
- When a company teaches math to its employees a large component cost is the labor of the employee. This is true whether the company pays this cost or in some way induces the employee to bear the cost. For example, suppose the internal labor rate of an employee is $30 per hour. Let’s suppose it requires 50 hours of labor to learn a subject. Then the labor cost is $1500. Now suppose one uses an alternative program that requires 70 hours of labor, then the cost increases to $2100, or a $600 increase.
- Many so-called free educational resources consume many more labor hours than an appropriately designed resource and end up costing much more in total costs due to the increased labor costs. Worse yet, if the course fails then there is the lost opportunity costs associated with the fact the employee remains uneducated.
- Significantly, many worker/students simply fail in many traditional math courses for psychological and motivational reasons, thus losing the opportunity to upgrade their skills and productivity.
- A company needs to decide exactly what topics need to be mastered by its workers and obtain, if possible, a course that teaches these topics, and no others.
- The training must take into account the psychology and motivation of the worker/student. Failure to do this usually results in failure of the training.
- Today’s most successful companies must insist on optimal effective solutions to their training problems to remain competitive and profitable.
- Worker productivity and quality is extremely important, particularly in the maintenance field. Downtime and costly mistakes are a huge drag on the bottom line.
- A high competency level in appropriate practical mathematics has a great positive impact on worker productivity and quality in the maintenance arena.
One Solution to industry’s “Math Skills Problem”:
- Triad Math Inc.’s Practical Math Foundation (PMF) Course was designed with these facts in mind, specifically for skilled tradesmen industrial workers, not scientists or engineers.
- The PMF is radically different from any “standard curriculum” course. The PMF includes only the math topics and facts and skills needed to solve practical industrial technical problems needed by maintenance technicians and troubleshooters.
- The PMF is far and away the most efficient source of math training for companies, and results in total training costs lower than other resources. In most cases this cost savings is quite significant.
The Triad Math Challenge
- If you have a mathematics training program that is working, then use it as a “control” and compare it to the Practical Math Foundation. Simply put two equal groups of students through the two programs and compare the results.
- IF the PMF does not “beat” your current program, you will owe us nothing and will have received some free training, plus the $10,000 award in #21 below.
- However, if the PMF does beat your current program, then you will have a new valuable resource to help improve your workforce and bottom line.
- If you do not currently have a mathematics training program, then try out the PMF. When you see its value and success the PMF will become your control to compare any other math program to.
- Triad Math will award a $10,000 Learn Maintenance Onsite Training Credit in Electrical Controls or Hydraulics to any company which can come up with a mathematics program that is even close to the PMF in effectiveness and value for maintenance workers and skilled tradesmen.
For more information, please visit www.maintenancemath.com.